Despite Democrats asking for a second confirmation hearing, Betsy DeVos is set to be voted on by the education committee tomorrow.
She will be a disaster for public education.
Her confirmation hearing revealed just how disastrous. It showed that
- She is woefully ignorant about basic points of education policy.
- She is confused about federal protections for disabled students.
- She strongly advocates voucher programs for disabled students, which require them to sign away the rights they are entitled to under federal law.
- She will not commit to Title IX protections against campus sexual assault and gender discrimination – and she and her family have made generous donations to organizations that oppose those protections.
- She's all for guns in schools.
- She failed to explain any of her past remarks against public education.
Aside from that hearing being an utter catastrophe, there are serious and ongoing concerns over her ethics review.
Her goal isn't to further public education: it's to " confront the culture in ways that will continue to advance God's kingdom."
And the charter schools she supports will only increase America's problem with de facto racial segregation, and aggravate the gaps between rich and poor students.
Even those who attended Calvin College, her alma mater, are against her nomination.
We need to flip three Republican senators in order to block Betsy DeVos's nomination. Please call your senators today, and say these two simple sentences that could save American public education:
My name is X, and I'm a constituent from zip code ____. I'm calling to ask [Senator's name] to block Betsy DeVos from the position of education secretary.
Here are the numbers for the Republican senators who most need to hear from you.
Susan Collins (ME) (207) 622-8414 & (202) 224-2523
Lamar Alexander (TN) (615)-736-5129 & (202) 224-4944
Lisa Murkowski (AK) (907)-586-7277 & (202) 224-6665
Johnny Isakson (GA) (770)-661-0999 & (202) 224-3643
Orrin Hatch (UT) (801) 524-4380 & (202) 224-5251
Richard Burr (NC) (336) 631-5125 & (202) 224-3154
Michael Enzi (WY) (307) 261-6572 & (202) 224-3424
Dr. Bill Cassidy (LA) (225) 929-7711 & (202) 224-5824
Pat Roberts (KS) (785) 295-2745 & (202) 224-4774
Tim Scott (SC) (803) 771-6112 & (202) 224-6121
Rand Paul (KY) (270) 782-8303 & (202) 224-4343
Every child in this country deserves a safe, comprehensive public school education. Every child in this country deserves the opportunity to thrive. Call your senator today, and tell the to vote against Betsy DeVos. She is not the person for that job.