It’s October 31 and around the country children are dressing up as ghosts, vampires, zombies and Minions.
Meanwhile, wildlife species around the world face a different specter: the risk of extinction. Some have already passed across the veil to the other side.
“Extinction Countdown” has covered quite a few of these species over the years. Here are a few tales to get you in the Halloween spirit:
- Halloween Scares: A Graveyard for Extinct Species
- Giving Up On the “Ghost Cat”: Eastern Cougar Subspecies Declared Extinct
- Just 35 Devils Hole Pupfish Remain Does Extinction Loom?
- Halloween Horrors: The Ghost Bat (aka the False Vampire Bat)
- Yet Another Disease Is Attacking Tasmanian Devils
- This Rare White Possum Could Soon Be a Ghostly Memory
- “Ghost Whale” vs. Black Gold
Photo by Wendel Fisher. Used under Creative Commons license