Happy Pi Day.
3.1416 - that's as far as I have ever remembered the value for Pi. And Lookit. That's today's date.
But what is Pi exactly?
Pi is the relationship between the diameter (width of a circle) and it's circumference (the distance around the outside of the circle. Ok, I admit it. I had to look it up.
But hey, don't take my and wikipedia's word for it. Go out and see for your self.
1. Take a cylinder such as a can or cannister.
2. Take a piece of string (yarn, ribbon, tape, etc) secure it across the exact middle of of the top.
3. Measure that piece out (mark it or cut a piece).
4. Repeat this step or use the original string to cut out 3 additional pieces of string.
5. Now stretch out a longer piece of string.
6. Wrap another piece of string around the can. Mark or cut that piece.
Now lay out your strings and compare.