And all of this will be elaborated on, in time: this was meant to be the briefest and simplest of introductions.
For previous Tet Zoo articles on turtles, see...
- Hard-shelled sea turtles and a diet of glass
- Gilbert White's pet tortoise, and what is 'grey literature' anyway?
- Giant African softshells - wow!
- Giraffe-necked giant tortoises
- Matamata: turtle-y awesome to the extreme
- The familiar Matamata, known to us all since the 1700s, and its long, fat neck (matamatas part II)
- "Adaptation perfected" (possibly) in a turtle's head (matamatas part III)
- Turtles that suck, turtles that blow (matamatas part IV)
- Giant fossil matamata turtles (matamatas part V)
- Necks for sex? No thank you, we're sauropod dinosaurs (includes brief discussion of Galapagos tortoises)
- The goat-eating hot water bottle turtles
- In case you forget, softshell turtles are insanely weird
- Terrifying sex organs of male turtles