Tetrapod Zoology

Tetrapod Zoology

Amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals - living and extinct
Tetrapod Zoology Home

Announcements from the TetZoo-sphere

This isn’t a normal scheduled blog post; instead, it concerns some announcements. Firstly, TetZooCon – the first ever Tetrapod Zoology Convention – is go. It will be held at the London Wetland Centre (UK) on Saturday 12th July and you can now book for attendance. Our schedule is pretty much sorted: we have a series on talks on such subjects as dinosaurs, pterosaurs, the role of speculative zoology, cryptozoology, herpetology and conservation biology; there’s also a palaeoart workshop (led by co-organiser John Conway, Bob Nicholls and Mark Witton), a quiz, and stalls. We hope to see you there! If the event works out, this will become a regular thing… Check the website for details.

In other news, some of you might recall me saying that my monitor montage – the most recent version of which was featured in the Tet Zoo article on news from the world of monitor lizards – would get used as a t-shirt design at some stage. That day has come, and you can now buy your very own Tet Zoo ‘Monitors Are The Best Animals’ t-shirt at the Tet Zoo redbubble shop. More merchandise to be added to the site as and when. The t-shirt is available in lots of colours, but I think the red one looks best.

Finally, the latest issue of Science Uncovered magazine (June 2014, Issue 07)  features an article of mine that might be of broad interest here: it’s titled ‘Rediscovering the Dinosaurs’, the tag line being ‘They are often depicted as huge, scaly beasts – but new discoveries are changing our beliefs about these creatures…’ (Naish 2014). It features artwork by Julius Csotonyi (who has a new book out, by the way), Emily Willougby, John Conway and Mark Witton, with ‘before’ and ‘after’ images showing how life reconstructions have changed substantially over the years (and a pox on those palaeontologists who are still giving the OK to reconstructions that are objectively wrong and aesthetically offensive). I hope it’s interesting and enjoyed by those intrigued by what we know about the life appearance of fossil animals.

Coming next: ratites part II!

Ref – -

Naish, D. 2014. Rediscovering the dinosaurs. Science Uncovered 7 (June 2014), 68-72.

Darren Naish About the Author: Darren Naish is a science writer, technical editor and palaeozoologist (affiliated with the University of Southampton, UK). He mostly works on Cretaceous dinosaurs and pterosaurs but has an avid interest in all things tetrapod. His publications can be downloaded at darrennaish.wordpress.com. He has been blogging at Tetrapod Zoology since 2006. Check out the Tet Zoo podcast at tetzoo.com! Follow on Twitter @TetZoo.

1. 1. Tayo Bethel 10:39 am 05/18/2014

Rattites Part 2… what we’ve all been waiting for :)

2. 2. Sebastian Marquez 12:22 pm 05/18/2014

Argh, how I wish I were in the U.K. instead of being stuck in non-tetzoocon Hawai’i, woe is me :P

Perhaps the next one!

3. 3. Jerzy v. 3.0. 7:13 am 05/19/2014

Good luck! A pity I cannot make it to London.

4. 4. naishd 9:01 am 05/19/2014

Thanks for comments — and, alas, the fact that it’s happening the UK will of course mean that many potential attendees just can’t do the attending they should.. but that would be case wherever we hold it.

We’re talking right now about the palaeoart workshop. What sort of thing would people expect for this? A series of presentations, a ‘how-to guide’, a set of case studies, a Q&A, or a discussion among the artists about the state of palaeoart in general?

Provisional schedule to be put online this week.

5. 5. DavidMarjanovic 9:28 am 05/19/2014

July 12 is a bit soon, and at the same time so far away that I don’t know if I’ll have time.

As you can see from the ghetto-scan below

We can’t. It’s not there (404 File not found).

6. 6. naishd 10:09 am 05/19/2014

What – you can’t see the photo of the magazine pages? I can. Please confirm.

7. 7. naishd 10:27 am 05/19/2014

Ah, I think the image has been removed. This is presumably a copyright thing…

8. 8. markh22 4:26 am 05/20/2014

TetZooCon sounds great, aligns with so many of my interests – would definitely go but I’m already committed elsewhere on July 12th………damn!!

Excellent idea Darren, hope it’s successful and the first of many. I’ll publicise it within the British Herpetological Society membership.

9. 9. naishd 4:31 am 05/20/2014

Thanks, Mark (comment # eight*) – and sorry to hear you can’t make it. We have at least one dedicated herpetological talk: Helen Meredith of DICE, University of Kent and ZSL is presenting ‘What have amphibians ever done for us’?

* I can’t use the number 8 and a bracket together.. the platform thinks I’m trying to compose an emoticon.

10. 10. Jerzy v. 3.0. 5:03 am 05/20/2014

@4
    Seminar on how to find time for painting.

And giant paper mache Tylosaurs and Quetzalcoatlus rather like Chinese New Year. :)

11. 11. Jerzy v. 3.0. 5:05 am 05/20/2014

In any case, I hope to read and see cool reports on your blog. :)

12. 12. naishd 5:10 am 05/20/2014

Good point — I will have to partially rely on other people for taking the photos but, yes, whatever happens will be reported here.

And if anyone does want to bring a life-size paper azhdarchid or mosasaur, that would be great.

13. 13. DavidMarjanovic 6:56 am 05/20/2014

Put a space between them, or HTML tags like <i></i>:

8 )

14. 14. naishd 10:49 am 05/20/2014

On the subject of conventions and David Marjanović, have a look at… this.

15. 15. John Harshman 11:22 am 05/20/2014

I too would love to be there, were there not a large continent and a somewhat larger ocean in the way.

16. 16. JoseD 12:20 am 05/21/2014

Naishd: “Finally, the latest issue of Science Uncovered magazine (June 2014, Issue 07) features an article of mine that might be of broad interest here: it’s titled ‘Rediscovering the Dinosaurs’, the tag line being ‘They are often depicted as huge, scaly beasts – but new discoveries are changing our beliefs about these creatures…’ (Naish 2014).”

Will you post a PDF of the article on your website? Many thanks in advance.

17. 17. naishd 3:13 am 05/21/2014

18. 18. AndrewD 10:50 am 05/21/2014

Hi Darren,
    Will this post be subject to the 23 post rule?

19. 19. DavidMarjanovic 10:55 am 05/21/2014

Will this post be subject to the 23 post rule?

What a question.

20. 20. naishd 10:58 am 05/21/2014

23 comments, you say? Why yes; yes this post is indeed subject to the 23 comment rule. Ain’t nothin’ happenin’ until we get there.

21. 21. JoseD 12:07 pm 05/21/2014

Naishd: “I’d love to post a pdf… but I don’t have one. Plus, it being for a magazine, they really want people to buy it while it’s still on sale in the shops.”

I would if there were any book stores near me that sold it, but (AFAIK) there aren’t. Is it sold in the US?

22. 22. Crown House 6:58 pm 05/21/2014

Hi Darren,
    just wanted to thank you once more for your work here on tetzoo. A pity, that I’m not able to take part of the the Convention, hope to read here the most important bits.
    Good luck and best greetings from Austria!

23. 23. Dartian 4:11 am 05/22/2014

Too bad that this thread only attracted 22 comments…

24. 24. Dartian 4:14 am 05/22/2014

Oops, look what I just did there… And it was, of course, totally by accident. ;)

25. 25. Dartian 4:18 am 05/22/2014

Joking aside, I’m quite bummed that I most likely can’t make it to London for TetZooCon I. Pesky conflicting schedules getting in the way. :( My gut feeling is that it will be a successful event.

26. 26. naishd 10:56 am 05/22/2014

And, yay, we can move on :) Next article up today or tomorrow (as soon as other commitments allow). Dartian: yeah, a real shame you can’t come to TetZooCon 2014, but maybe you will one day. When you do, you have to come dressed as an australopithecine.

27. 27. SRPlant 12:50 pm 05/22/2014

“When you do, you have to come dressed as an australopithecine.”

Damned dress codes.

28. 28. Dartian 2:15 pm 05/22/2014

Darren:
    When you do, you have to come dressed as an australopithecine.

Oh, so it’s a ‘come as you are’ event then? ;)

29. 29. Halbred 2:40 pm 05/22/2014

I will, alas, miss the blessed event as well. It’s difficult to get ANYWHERE from Alaska, but the other side of the world especially. Maybe TetZooCon will get so big someday that it’ll be broken up into several cons (for example, there are three Penny Arcade Expos: PAX East (in Boston), PAX Prime (in Seattle), and PAX South (in San Antonio)). :-)

I imagine Ed Yong’s newest piece at Phenomena might give us a teaser on tomorrow’s TetZoo post.

30. 30. naishd 3:52 pm 05/22/2014

Aww, damn you, Yong!!

The Tet Zoo take will be a bit more in-depth.

31. 31. Heteromeles 10:20 am 05/23/2014

I’ll be cheering it on from California. Already have another event scheduled, alas.

Now about those pesky ratites…

32. 32. Yodelling Cyclist 11:38 am 05/27/2014

Halbred: I thought you could see Russia from your windows? Is it not easy to get to?