The first time I felt like a real scientist was when I started working in a neurobiology lab for the first time as an undergraduate. Running experiments, wearing a lab coat, and working with my hands to apply the things I’d learned about in my classes were all thrilling and novel experiences.
So at the end of my first semester, I responded to all the gushy emotions by making everyone in my lab a science-themed mix CD. Yes, I even nerdy enough to print out the tracklisting in a dot matrix font.
This post last month on “The Best Pop Science Song of All Time,” contains a couple of these gems, but for the weekend, I’ll leave you with a modern version of my mix CD culled from Youtube videos.
1. The Dandy Warhols – I am a Scientist
2. Blackalicious – Chemical Calisthenics
3. Freezepop – Science Genius Girl
4. The Aquabats – The Cat with Two Heads
5. The North Atlantic – Scientist Girl
6. Atom and his Package – Lord It’s Hard to be Happy When You’re Not Using the Metric System
7. Tom Lehrer – The Elements
“This might seem useful to some of you someday in a bizarre set of circumstances.”
8. The Avalanches – Frontier Psychiatrist
9. Robots in Disguise – She’s a Color Scientist
10. Oingo Boingo – Weird Science
11. The Ex Models – She Blinded Me with Science
I couldn’t find a online link for this song, but trust me when I say this noise cover of the proceeding Dolby hit is INTENSE.
12. Thomas Dolby – She Blinded Me with Science
13. The Zanies – The Mad Scientist
This one is well worth the listen.
14. MC Hawking – Entropy
15. Ladytron – True Mathematics
16. Mirwais – Disco Science
17. Professor Pez – Rocket Science
Another song that I sadly could not locate online.
18. Rilo Kiley – Science vs. Romance
19. The Hacker – Scientist
Again, couldn’t find this song online, but here’s another from the same artist that serves a similar purpose.
I hope you enjoy listening to and watching these as much as I did reliving my science-music nerdery from long ago.
Get 6 bi-monthly digital issues
+ 1yr of archive access for just $9.99