PsiVid

PsiVid

A cross section of science on the cyberscreen
PsiVid HomeAboutContact

Welcome to SciAm Cinema! A New Monthly Video Series at Scientific American

The blog network at Scientific American is vast. It’s one of the largest, most comprehensive sources of science information on the web, and our bloggers are adding posts on a daily basis. SciAm Cinema is a brand new monthly video series that will examine some of the most fascinating stories on the blog network each month. I’ve been wanting to do a series like this for quite some time, as I am always moved by the excellent stories I read by many of my co-bloggers. So I was thrilled to hear that the powers on top thought it was a great idea as well!

So I present to you episode 1 of Sciam Cinema – with highlights from many of our blogs including Christie Wilcox, Alex Wild, Christina Agapakis, Maria Konnikova, John Matson and Caleb Scharf.

I hope you enjoy, and I welcome your feedback. See you next month!

Carin Bondar About the Author: Carin Bondar is a biologist, writer and film-maker with a PhD in population ecology from the University of British Columbia. Find Dr. Bondar online at www.carinbondar.com, on twitter @drbondar or on her facebook page: Dr. Carin Bondar – Biologist With a Twist. Follow on Twitter @drbondar.

1. 1. kevinICdesigner 6:28 pm 02/1/2013

Will you please distribute these as iTunes podcasts? Otherwise, how do I know when a new one comes up?

2. 2. cccampbell38 1:50 pm 02/2/2013

This is a wonderful addition to SA’s online offerings.

Two suggestion if I may: mic. all of the presenters. In the segment on stool replacement the presenter was nearly unintelligible because of the echoes.

Likewise, the overdubbed music is distracting and makes it harder to understand the speaker.

Thanks.

3. 3. Shmick 6:58 am 02/3/2013

But I agree with the above “cccampbell38″, there were some sound quality issues. For me it was the voice-overs on some of the photographs that I couldn’t understand.

4. 4. Carin 12:38 pm 02/4/2013

Hi there, and thanks for your comments! I agree, I’ve got to have a little more control over the sound. I will most certainly improve on this in future episodes. Also, @kevin I will definitely ask about the itunes option. I aim to have new episodes out in the last few days of each month!

5. 5. jipkin 8:15 pm 02/11/2013

Aside from technical issues, I think the content needs some work. I’m not sure it’s terribly compelling viewing to have a recap video for stuff that regular blog readers have already seen. The organization is a bit too chaotic, jumping from topic to topic.

My suggestion would be to produce a live or recorded show, where your bloggers can be guests or co-hosts. Then amongst you, you can discuss the science of the month/week/whatever. Guests (maybe the scientists who did the work?) can come on, etc. Podcasts do this, but it’s not that hard to do it with video, by using tools like google hangout on air, or by using livestreaming services like twitch.tv or youtube live combined with group skype video calls. In this manner, you can interact with a live audience as you go.

As it stands, this video would have served the audience that watches it (people that are interested in in-depth coverage of tiny little things here and there) better by just being a set of headline-blurb links to the original blog. But if you developed this as a show, you would have something you can’t get just from reading. And you would simultaneously develop your bloggers as personalities, attracting larger audiences to them and therefore higher traffic to your site.

6. 6. artimony 11:57 pm 02/18/2013

Excellent first episode, Carin. Thanks for including my arachnid string theorist!

Rick Lieder