Observations

Observations

Opinion, arguments & analyses from the editors of Scientific American
Observations HomeAboutContact

Telltale Language Reveals Who Is Keeping a Secret

Sharing a secret can forge a relationship and solidify a bond with a friend. Keeping a secret, however, can eat away at our health and happiness.  As it turns out, hiding a painful truth also changes the way we communicate with others.

Courtesy of Cedward Brice via flickr

By analyzing big data sets such as email logs and Twitter feeds, psychologists are unveiling the subtle, subconscious ways our language reflects our inner thoughts. These shifts in speech can also crop up in the way political leaders communicate with the public. They may even indicate when one of the Boston marathon bombers first decided to carry out his act of violence.

Psychologists have long known that keeping a secret takes both a psychological and physical toll. Two competing theories sought to explain why secrets tax us. Perhaps we withdraw from our friends and family, thus losing some of the social support that keeps us healthy. Alternately, we might remain highly connected, but in a hyper-vigilant way, always monitoring to make sure that no one suspects anything is amiss. (A heightened state of arousal is also known to weigh on our health.)

In two studies presented at the American Psychological Association convention this week, James Pennebaker and his colleagues at the University of Texas at Austin analyzed the language in secret keepers’ emails to test whether they withdrew or became hyper-vigilant. In the first study, led by graduate student Jenna Baddeley, 16 women with major depressive disorder and 15 healthy subjects shared the bulk of their emails over the past year with the researchers. The psychologists focused on this disorder because they reasoned that the women suffering from an episode of depression would try to hide that fact from others in their social circles. The women also shared the dates when their depressive episodes occurred.

The team found that during a depressive episode, people sent more emails and used more words in them, as compared with both the healthy women and the depressive women in remission. They also used fewer negative emotion words, more positive emotion words and more words such as “I” and “me.”“People who are depressed spend much of their time masking it, “Pennebaker noted. “They use communication strategies to come across as chipper.”

But how similar is a depressed person to a typical secret-keeper? In one way, at least, they are not. Depressive writers tend to rely heavily on “I” words, which for them reflects a ruminative self-focus. For non-depressed subjects, research has found the frequent use of “I” to be a marker for honesty. This distinction crops up in the second study, led by psychologist Yla Tausczik at Carnegie Mellon. The team recruited 62 adults who admitted they were keeping a life-altering secret and were willing to, as before, share a year’s worth of emails, including some from before they acquired their dirty laundry. More than half of the adults said the secret was of a romantic or sexual nature, with other major categories being “family,” “mental health,” “job” and “legal.” As in the depression study, overall these people wrote more, longer emails after they acquired their secret than before. When writing to people relevant to their secret, however, these individuals used more deceptive language, more negative emotion words and fewer words such as “I” and “me.”

Both experiments had another twist. A metric called “language-style matching” measures the degree of similarity in two people’s manner of speech, a bellwether for the quality of a conversation. Pennebaker and his colleagues found that although the secret-keepers were communicating significantly more than before they had something to hide, their language-style matching scores with their interlocutors were lower. “I think they’re sending these emails to test their social networks—are we on the same page?” Pennebaker says. “They’re sending out emails to socially connect, but they’re not connecting well.”

This type of language analyses may also offer insights into high-profile real-world secrets. In earlier work, Pennebaker and colleagues had found that President George W. Bush used fewer singular pronouns, such as I, me and my, in the months prior to declaring war in Iraq. So did President Harry Truman before dropping the bomb on Hiroshima. And in an unpublished analysis of the Twitter activity of alleged Boston Marathon bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev, he, too, fits the pattern. Tsarnaev’s tweets included far fewer “I” words beginning in October 2012, shortly after his more radical brother returned from a 6-month trip to Russia and allegedly began posting extremist videos to Youtube. Pennebaker suggests that around this time Tsarnaev convinced himself to bomb the marathon, and the drop in personal pronouns reflects his newly acquired secret.

Although the work is preliminary, the repercussions could be large. Despite our best attempts to cloak the truth, our secrets may be hiding in plain sight.

1. 1. David Cummings 5:23 pm 08/2/2013

2. 2. GeorgeKintore 5:31 pm 08/2/2013

3. 3. GeorgeKintore 5:32 pm 08/2/2013

Since I begin operating freelance I have been transferral in $85h… I sit reception and that I am doing my work from my portable computer. the most effective issue is that I purchase longer to spent with my family and with my youngsters and within the same time I will earn enough to support them… you’ll be able to get laid too. Start here,>w­w­w.B­a­y­9­3.C­o­m

4. 4. popseal 5:35 pm 08/2/2013

I can assure commenters that there are no problems associated with keep secrets like the one about my cousin. Launched inside the family connections by my Aunt (mother’s side) the story has been around for a few weeks. (somebody get the door!) It’s really a zinger of a true story. (the voices in my head, make them stop) After some calls and emails I’ve determined my cousin is guilty of some nasty stuff. (I said get the door….make the voices stop, please) After reporting to family members my findings the problem went away along with my cousin. (never mind about the voices, another voice came along and chased it off and thank goodness the guy at the door went away).

5. 5. Hambrook 8:45 am 08/3/2013

like Diane said I am impressed that someone able to get paid $5089 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this website…… http://www.Yad7.ℂom

6. 6. rusbowden 3:08 pm 08/3/2013

This is a slippery slope that the researchers slipped the wrong way on. What they found was that both depressed people and people who are keeping a secret act as if they are alienated. The danger, if this is so, is in conflating a person who has been alienated by others with someone who is keeping a secret, alienating herself, or with someone who is alienated by the illness of depression. This could lead to serious and damaging prejudice, adding insult to the injury of alienation, plus more injury.

7. 7. raanme56 3:38 pm 08/4/2013

A different type of Featuring Funny Videos, Flash Games, Funny Pictures, Jokes updated daily site. please visit. http://awesomeorama.com/

8. 8. jgrosay 7:18 pm 08/8/2013

For psychopats, also called recently ‘Borderline Personality Disorder’, keeping a secret, or speaking about a subject in a way that those attending the conversation think that the true is exactly the contrary of what they’re hearing, is a task without toil, because his/her minds are tuned on their own survival and goals, they don’t have the restrictions an internalized censor instance, the authority, the policeman inside, the super-ego, making them betray their own interests by having difficulties in saying a lie or hidding an intention in a way that would not leave marks that discover its nature. The opposite, saying lies in a way that a ‘lie detector’ would notice, may be a sad consequence of socialization, as it’s an involuntary denial of the fundamental principle that nobody is obliged to declare against him or herself, this would include the permit for perjury, otherwise it would be some kind of a forced suicide, and above all, as this involuntary exposition of your own intentions include those that may reduce the opportunities of a competitor, not being psychopat puts you in the hands of those that are, and psychopats do not necessarily act in a criminal or painful way to others, not having an ‘intention broadcaster’ inside the mind that reveals your aims by very subtle changes in body communication is an advantage, psychopats can detect these subtle signs, the way some poker players infere the chances the others have cards that would overcome his or hers, and this can built classes of ‘masters and servants’ that would prolong itself across generations. We should be careful about how and on which principles people is educated, education is not the same as ‘domestication’, but the step from avoiding self-punishment or self-blaming to acting in an absolute lack of moral principles, just formal attitudes not to have constant manners conflicts is small.