Compound Eye

Compound Eye

The many facets of science photography
Compound Eye Home

Compound Eye Readers’ Best Science and Nature Photographs of 2013

"Star Trails over Aoraki" © Lee Jaszlics

A few days ago I asked you to submit your best Nature & Science images from the past year, and wow- you did not disappoint!

Below, in no particular order, are links to all participants’ selections. If you have a “Best of 2013″ gallery and wish to be added, drop a link in the comments.

Tom Houslay

Jack Owicki

Sarah Boon

Ted MacRae

Bryan Reynolds

"Scorpion fluorescing under UV illumination" © Jack Owicki

Talbot Brooks

Robley Hood

Devon Jerothe

Hadel Go

Nash Turley

"A Red Salamander (Pseudotriton ruber) sits on a submerged tree trunk in a bog at sunset." © Clay Bolt

Nicky Bay

João Burini

John Beetham

Candace Lynn

Bill Rockenbeck

Troy Shantz

"Small Tortoiseshell" © Matt Cole

John Troiani

Kathy Keatley Garvey

Thomas Shahan

Andy Warren

Gil Wizen

Meredith Mahoney

"An Atlantic sharpnose shark immediately before release" - RJ Dunlap Marine Conservation Program © Frank Gibson

Kimberly Hosey

"Planthopper nymph (Fulgoromorpha) displaying an explosive butt" © Nicky Bay

Alan Kotok

Margarethe Brummermann

Lee Jaszlics

Singapore Nature

Chris Helzer

"Cottonwood leaves. The Nature Conservancy’s Kelly Tract, Nebraska." © Chris Helzer

Daniel Stoupin (with backstory)

Adam Blake

Derek Hauffe

Tom Astle

Walter Sanford

"Bee Beard: Polish bee scientist Jakub Gabka" © Kathy Keatley Garvey

Alex Wild About the Author: Alex Wild is an Illinois-based entomologist who studies the evolutionary history of ants. In 2003 he founded a photography business as an aesthetic complement to his scientific work, and his natural history photographs appear in numerous museums, books, and media outlets. Follow on Twitter @myrmecos.

1. 1. OscarBlanco 1:55 pm 12/31/2013

Thanks for including my work Alex! :)

2. 2. Bee Photog 3:47 pm 12/31/2013

I’ve posted on Flickr some of my favorite images of 2013 that appeared on my Bug Squad blog:

I write the Bug Squad blog nightly, Monday through Friday, at http://ucanr.edu/blogs/bugsquad/index.cfm. Commitment: Never missed a nightly post since August 6, 2008.

3. 3. anatotitan 6:12 pm 12/31/2013

This is fantastic – wish I’d seen the original call! Here is my best-of collection at Flickr.

4. 4. gentle lemur 6:42 pm 12/31/2013

Breathtaking images! They put my best shots this year to shame. Well done to all.

5. 5. gaurav1729 7:47 pm 12/31/2013

Wonderful! Here’s my list of best arthropod photos of 2013 (okay, there’s one bird photo too): http://mescapes.wordpress.com/best-arthropods-of-2013/ . Hope you like them.

6. 6. BrianTC 4:48 am 01/1/2014

Another year already? Great collection as usual – fun to watch so many people developing such talent. A bit of a slow photography/blogging year for me but here is my offering: http://www.briancutting.com/2014/01/favourites-of-2013.html

7. 7. starshade 7:11 am 01/1/2014

Fantastic collection. I’ve been traveling and missed your very short notice to submit best shots:

The gallery isn’t titles “best shots 2013,” but all images were taken in 2013 and I only uploaded my best ones there )

Sorry for double post

8. 8. DerekHauffe 9:02 pm 01/1/2014

Thanks for the inclusion, Alex! Happy new year :)

9. 9. Techuser 10:40 am 01/2/2014

I’ve just put up mine, everything (except two birds from uk) shot in the atlantic forest, like always

10. 10. artimony 8:28 pm 01/2/2014

Thanks Alex!

11. 11. tcmacrae 1:40 pm 01/4/2014

I went through all of these, and there are some amazing insect photographers out there. I have much to learn (still!!!) but have found new inspiration in several of them who seem to be proficient at techniques I’d like to get better at.

Alex – check the link to Alan Kotok, when I tried it led to the previous entry (Brian Silverman).