Compound Eye

Compound Eye

The many facets of science photography
Compound Eye Home

Transform Your iPhone Into a Microscope: Just Add Water

A droplet of water suspended on an iPhone camera acts as a magnifying lens.

I’ve engineered a fair number of inexpensive DIY camera hacks. This one is by far the cheapest: it’s free! Simply place a drop of water on the phone’s lens, carefully turn the device over, and the suspended droplet serves as a liquid lens. Behold:

Crocus flower as seen by an iPhone 4s through a water droplet.

Droplet images are dreamy, blurred at the periphery, and just a little bit…wet. But the tiny subjects underneath are magnified with sufficient resolution for an impromptu microscope. Indeed, I started playing around with the technique after reading that the U.C. Davis iPhone microscope team experimented with water before moving to a solid lens.

After spending a few hours this weekend with a slightly moist iPhone, I am pleased to report the following:

• It works!
  • Larger, rounder droplets lead to higher magnification, and as the droplet evaporates and shrinks magnification decreases.
  • The liquid lens is jiggly and sensitive to vibrations. The phone should be placed on a stable platform for maximum clarity. For these photos, I coopted a pair of short drinking glasses as a stand.
  • Image quality is not as sharp as that provided by solid, commercially available clip-on lenses like Olloclip. But hey. You get what you pay for!
  • Water is not generally good for cell phone electronics, so be careful when applying the droplet.

Below are my attempts at iPhone water-graphs.

Odorous house ant, backlit with an LED array under the leaf.

Give me liberty, or give me 10 cents

The water lens has sufficient power to resolve a honey bee's hairs!

A printed image from a book, up close

Fingerprint

Tipping the phone slightly distorts the droplet lens into yielding a tilt-shift/lensbaby effect.

If you try the technique, I’d love to see your results! Drop a link in the comments, or send me an email.

Alex Wild About the Author: Alex Wild is an Illinois-based entomologist who studies the evolutionary history of ants. In 2003 he founded a photography business as an aesthetic complement to his scientific work, and his natural history photographs appear in numerous museums, books, and media outlets. Follow on Twitter @myrmecos.

1. 1. jtdwyer 2:57 pm 03/12/2012

Now that’s an innovative application of technology!

2. 2. smarshallphoto 4:08 am 03/13/2012

Thanks for the article. I tried this last night, but used glycerine instead of water. It behaves almost like syrup, so is much easier to control. I didn’t use an iPhone either (other camera phones are available!), I used my Android device. Result here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grittyshaker/6978694809/in/photostream

3. 3. dahved 4:29 pm 03/13/2012

Really cool! Do you apply the drop with the phone already pointing downward?
    Also, is the dime distorted from being circular by the drop?

4. 4. Biology in Motion 5:06 pm 03/14/2012

Just tried this trick to take shots of the details in a vampire bat skull. Mixed results owing to some motion in the camera that, of course, leads to heavy motion of the water lens (as Alex warned in the article). Once I steadied the camera, results improved. No images online yet, I’ll probably post some to Google later. One thing I did notice, as well, is that strong directional lighting does some interesting things with this technique.

5. 5. TheStoof 9:19 pm 03/15/2012

Sub-pixels can be seen.

6. 6. Symbiartic.km 4:17 am 03/19/2012

cool, Alex!

7. 7. elamperti 12:37 am 03/20/2012

Hi Alex, great article and good results! After reading it I tried to take some shots with my Motorola Droid and I managed to get some interesting photos.
    Though the post is in Spanish, you may enjoy the pictures:

8. 8. L.Slonimova 3:39 am 04/5/2012

Can I try it also on iPod?)

9. 9. Dubravko J. 5:18 pm 04/20/2012

I tried it on my Galaxy S right now. The images are not as good as yours since the camera is not as good as the one in iPhone, though.

However, I wanted to thank you for sharing this, it’s great! I’m gonna spend the rest of the night playing with my cellphone and water. Interesting and fun! :)

Here are some photos I made so far: http://alpha-cmi.blogspot.com/2012/04/very-cheap-microscope.html

10. 10. blackmagicdude 12:54 am 10/15/2012

I saw someone build a Microscope using this laser pointer.

How can it be done?