About the SA Blog Network

But Not Simpler

But Not Simpler

Thinking way too hard about science and pop-culture
But Not Simpler Home

Welcome to Overthinking It!

The views expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Email   PrintPrint

Hey everyone! Welcome to Overthinking It, a blog looking at science and pop-culture through the lens of extreme nerdery. Through superheroes, Serenity, zombies, and Zelda, I try to find the hidden science in all our favorite fandoms. For me, science extends far beyond the lab, which I will prove to you with a picture of me as He-Man.

Nerd cred established!

To give you an idea of the topics I want to explore, just take a look at the geekiness already covered:

Besides applying science and nerdery to pop-culture, my other passion is the communication of science. Using Superman is a fun way to learn about meteors, but there is a lot of pseudoscience out there that simply cannot be handled with kid gloves on. As a research fellow with the James Randi Educational Foundation, a non-profit resource on pseudoscience and the paranormal, I will give no quarter to junk science here. Anti-vaccine proponents, psychics, and climate change deniers beware!

That isn’t to say that we won’t have any fun. Could you catch Aquaman on a fishing line? What if you had to transcribe the entirety of Wikipedia with just one pencil? These are questions I want to answer in the next few weeks. Feel free to give your suggestions for what we should overthink, I’ll credit your idea and do my best!

You can always catch me linking out fun stuff on Twitter and Facebook, but just in case you’re not into social media, I will also post a weekly round-up of around 100 links to interesting science and pop-culture stuff from the week right here.

Oh yeah, my name is Kyle and I am a freelance science writer, science enthusiast, and all-around geek. I have degrees in engineering and communication. Feel free to get in touch with me in the comments, by sending an email to sciencebasedlife@gmail.com, or by following me on Twitter @Sci_Phile. If you are a young writer and want to try your hand at science blogging, I also run the Nature Education blog Student Voices, where you can get in touch and get a platform!

I’m honored to be a part of the Scientific American blog network, and if you like any of my stuff, be sure to peak around the rest of the site (I’d start with the Guest Blog, where I made my first posts).

Lastly, “overthinking it” is the name of the blog for two reasons. First, it’s the most common comment I get on these geek amalgamations of science and pop-culture. Second, you are banned from saying “you are overthinking it” in the comments! Win-win.

He-Man Photo Credit: Brian Engler

Kyle Hill About the Author: Kyle Hill is a freelance science writer and communicator who specializes in finding the secret science in your favorite fandom. Follow on Twitter @Sci_Phile.

Rights & Permissions

Comments 2 Comments

Add Comment
  1. 1. Shmick 8:34 pm 05/14/2013

glad you’ve gotten your own blog Kyle, looking forward to it!

Link to this
  2. 2. Bora Zivkovic 9:39 pm 05/14/2013

Welcome to the family!
    ;-)

Link to this

Add a Comment
You must sign in or register as a ScientificAmerican.com member to submit a comment.

More from Scientific American

Scientific American Holiday Sale

Give a Gift &
Get a Gift - Free!

Give a 1 year subscription as low as $14.99

Subscribe Now! >

X

Email this Article

X